If you have seen my banana bread post, you know we tend to have an abundance of overly ripe bananas that pop up in these parts. But as much as I love my loaves, I needed something new this week and these muffins were it. I slightly adapted this recipe I found on Pinterest to make them a little healthier but still really yum and they were a perfect not-too-sweet treat that we all enjoyed. The bonus? It was a one-bowl recipe that didn’t require me to pull out anything with a plug. Easy and quick. My very favorite kind. Here’s how you can make them:
2 medium mashed bananas
1 large egg
3/4 cup Greek yogurt (I used low-fat plain)
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour (you can use two cups all-purpose, but this was just the right amount of wheat. I am picky about wheat flour in my baked goods because let’s be honest, it usually compromises the taste. This 50/50 option worked great here)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon chia seeds, optional
Some chocolate chips, for fun
- Preheat oven to 350F, line a 12-count muffin pan with liners or spray with cooking spray; set aside. Recipe makes more than a dozen muffins. I used the rest to make minis for my kids. Big hit.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas. Add the egg, yogurt, oil, sugars and vanilla and whisk to incorporate.
- Add the flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix until just combined; don’t overmix or bread will be tough. Pour batter into prepared muffin pan, using an ice cream scoop to make it easy and relatively neat.
- Bake for about 20 to 22 minutes, or until tops of muffins are set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes clean.
- Cool and enjoy. Perfect with a cup of tea, your morning coffee or as a late-night snack.
PS – for those of you who inquired about the recipe for the homemade granola bars I shared on Instagram, it’s coming! I want to experiment with it one more time to tweak one thing so it’s perfect and then I will be sure to share it here!