What I Am Loving…Right Now
It’s a New Year and with it comes lots of shiny, new goodies – and some old favorites in the mix. Here are the things I am loving right now:
1) I have blogged about this Madewell biker boot before and clearly Santa is a regular reader. He brought me these for Christmas (with a little help from my mom!) and they are the perfect casual boot to get me through the next few months. Hip without being too hipster, if you know what I mean.
2) I was shopping for the holidays and decided I needed some sparkle and shine for a soirée or two. I was almost sold on a cute sequined number but then came across this dress from Club Monaco instead. It has just enough of a lamé finish to make you look a little dolled up while still acting your age…if your age is mid 30′s or so, like mine
3) Santa was clearly very good to me this year…this time with a little help from skater hubs. I had been eyeing the Tiffany Elsa Peretti Wave ring since I went to tour their newest store in LaJolla last month and alas, it found its way to the top of my tree. It’s simple, elegant and delicate and can easily go from day to night and everywhere in between.
4) I have struggled with the red lip thing for a while now but decided this was going to be my season. I didn’t want to invest too much in the look until I knew I could rock it with confidence (there’s no bigger beauty “don’t” than a style wrapped up in insecurity) so I did some browsing at Target and found this Cover Girl Lip Perfection in Euphoria. It’s the PERFECT red for me! It’s deep, slightly burgundy-toned, and felt just right from the moment I slipped it on. The one downside? It doesn’t last all that long. According to my sister, you have to invest for that — Chanel-style.
5) Oh Ina, Ina, Ina. How have I neglected to understand your brilliance all these years? Over the course of the past month or two, I have become head over heels in love with Ina Garten. I DVR her show and watch it before bed (it feels oddly therapeutic to me), with Little D on rainy afternoons, and whenever I need a little jolt of culinary creativity. And now I understand why half the housewives in America are obsessed. Her new book, Barefoot Contessa Foolproof, is my first from her and I spent many an hour on Christmas break leafing through it and marking recipes.
6) Ok, here’s the truth. I kind of want to hate C. Wonder and everything that comes along with it, but I ended up in one a while back and happened to try on a silk blouse and it was perfection. The fit was flawless, the material was lovely and the pattern (mine is a white and black bird scenario, not the one shown here) was cute without being “cutesy.” I think these are a great, less expensive alternative to the Equipment blouses taking young fashionistas by storm…but shhhh, please don’t tell Tory.
7) Here’s the thing with skinny jeans…I am not that skinny. I have hips. And I had all but turned my back on them…until I got a pair of these new KORAL skinnies in brocade. Yes, they are snug. Yes, it takes some fancy maneuvers on my part to slide into them. But once they are on, they look and feel fabulous. And this black on black velvet brocade pattern is the perfect “printed look” for me…a minimal type. They were a staple in my holiday wardrobe for day and night.
8) The temperature has finally dipped here in SoCal and while we don’t exactly need to pull out the Sorels and the cashmere gloves, I will use any excuse to embrace my love of chunky scarves. This Brixton Grace infinity scarf is easy to throw on over anything and is seasonally stylish…at least for now.
9) AA, BB, CC. Who can keep up? Well, you should, my friends. I was given this Stila HD Beauty Balm and it has become an absolute staple in my daily makeup routine. Alone, it provides just the right amount of light coverage to even out skin tone and pores for drop-off duty or a quick trip to Trader Joe’s. Layered under your normal foundation, concealer, etc. it builds a strong base to keep your look fresh and flawless all day.
10) Finally, my shower shelf is looking like a real-life Kiehl’s apothecary these days. This Nurturing Body Wash Cream is one of the newest additions to my arsenal and I became obsessed at first use. It’s light and airy like whipped cream, with the signature Crème de Corps scent I love so much and leaves my skin feeling unbelievably soft and pampered. I am a working mom of two, I do not have time for a lengthy lotion ritual after each shower, so this saves you time without sacrificing a little indulgence.
I hope Santa was good to you all! xx