The 30 Best Things You Can Do For Your Kids
I love a list. And Redbook has a good one in this month’s issue: “The 30 Best Things You Can Do For Your Kids” featuring pearls of parenting wisdom from notable names including Barbara Walters, Michelle Obama, Bobbi Brown and more.
Here they are in a nutshell. Pick up the new issue to read in more detail.
I have marked the ones I already do with an asterisk – a whopping 19! How about you??
1. Do not be a couch potato.
2. Be accepting of everyone.*
3. Get everyone together for dinner.*
4. Skip makeup sometimes.*
5. Take them to work.
6. Be their watchdog.*
7. Have great manners.*
8. Give life a soundtrack.*
9. Say no.*
10. Be consistent.*
11. Take great care of yourself, so your kids don’t have to.
12. Give them the money job in the kitchen. (i.e. not just peeling potatoes)
13. Teach through storytelling.
14. Don’t judge them.*
15. Get them involved in community service.
16. Watch with them (referring to TV, etc).
17. Introduce them to the world of money.*
18. Let them lose.*
19. Make them laugh.*
20. Break the dress code.*
21. Tell them about the first time you got your heart broken.
22. When you’re home, unplug.
23. Learn from them.*
24. Be modest.*
25. Please, don’t smoke. And if it’s too late for that, quit.*
26. Talk to them about sex.
27. Read together so they will learn to love books.*
28. Have some faith.
29. Celebrate their inner beauty.*
30. Encourage them to take risks.*